Sunday, March 30, 2014

Zentangle® Us on TV - Maybe

This is a copy of a letter that I sent to CBS. Rick and Maria, and the rest of the Zentangle® community, have high hopes of getting a spot on their show. Letters will come from all over the country from people like you requesting that the word go out. If you missed the newsletter from Zentangle, it is attached. Click here to read and participate.


April 1, 2014
CBS News Sunday Morning
Box O (for Osgood)
524 West 57th St.
NY, NY  10019
Re: Zentangle 
Hello,

I am a CZT (Certified Zentangle Teacher) living in the Phoenix area of Arizona. I think you would be doing a great service by letting everyone know about Zentangle. I am a former art teacher and I know how important it is, in this day and age, for everyone to have something creative to do. Zentangle is one of those art forms that needs no special equipment other than a pen, pencil and paper. It is easily learned and very satisfying.

Yes, I know that many compare Zentangle to “doodling” but it is such a far distant relative to doodling that there should be no comparison. Doodling is done while engaged in other activities, such as talking on the phone, while Zentangle is a very structured and mindful activity that brings upon a “zen” like feeling that is both calming and relaxing.

I recently gave a class at my granddaughter’s middle school. Her teacher requested that I come by after my granddaughter had excitedly told her that I was a Zentangle teacher. The class is a peer-mediation class that helps young people find ways to cope in today’s society without feeling such anger and despair. I had a class of almost 40 middle-schoolers. The class was attentive and completed a couple of tiles (the small paper 31/2 inch squares used to “tangle”) with enthusiasm. After the class, the teacher told me that she was totally amazed at the quiet and calm concentration that was observed. She marveled at the way some students, who were usually difficult to deal with and generally unruly, had settled into a peaceful state as they did the easily learned repetitive patterns.

Middle-School Student Work 
Zentangle is for everyone at any age and a calming meditative process that can be learned from a Certified Zentangle Teacher. Please help us (Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, the founders of Zentangle, would love to share their story.) get the word out about this simple and effective technique that helps people find that quiet place missing in the rush and hurry of our everyday lives. And, as a bonus, they will create little treasures of beautiful art.

You are invited to contact Rick and Maria at (rickandmaria@zentangle.com) or 508-234-6843

Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Jean Chaney, CZT

I included this tile with some Rixty influenced Crimini:

And, this is the envelope that I sent it in. (I have blurred out my address. Yes, I love all my readers but can you imagine if everyone showed up at my house at the same time????)

Wish us luck! 

(If you plan to participate, Rick and Maria requested that all envelopes be mailed out on the 1st; so HURRY :) )

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jean! This is a great letter! I've taught Zentangle to students who are similar at my high school. It is amazing how Zentangle helps these young folks focus. Well done! I have to finish my envelope tonight. Take care, Patty M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over to see what's going on here at Tangle Street. I did a double take when I saw your name in my email and I thought I had opened my Yahoo account instead of my Gmail account! Funny how we seem to find fellow tanglers in all kinds of places on the Internet. Sometimes it's a surprise that they are "someone else" because of sill names we made for ourselves years ago. For instance, I am grandmajean, jeanbobbob, as well as jeanchaney, and jeanchaneyaz, depending on where you find me. So, thanks ptrish40 (Patty) :)

      Delete